DR. JOE HECK – U.S. SENATE
There are two major Republican candidates in this race for the seat vacated by U.S. Senator Harry Reid. Dr. Joe Heck and Sharron Angle both responded to this interview request. (It was the NewsDesk editor’s decision to not invite the other seven Republican candidates to participate.) The winner of the Primary will face a Democrat, a non-partisan and IAP opponent in the General election.
There are 18 total candidates running for this U.S. Senate seat – 9 Republicans; 4 Democrats; 4 No Political Party; and 1 IAP. Four candidates are from the Reno/Sparks area and 14 from the Las Vegas/Henderson area.
Dr. Heck’s response was submitted by Brian Baluta, Communications Director, Dr. Joe Heck for U.S. Senate.
1. Please post a short personal resume:
- Dr. Joe Heck has dedicated his life to public service, working as a physician, firefighter, search and rescue team member, ambulance attendant, SWAT physician, and member of the Army Reserve.
- After completing his residency in emergency medicine at the Albert Einstein Medical Center in 1992, Dr. Heck was recruited to work in the emergency department at what was then Humana Hospital in Las Vegas.
- He received a direct commission in the U.S. Army Reserves Medical Corps in 1991 and currently holds the rank of Brigadier General. He was called to active duty three times, including Iraq where he ran the emergency services and aeromedical evacuation section of a combat support hospital.
- Dr. Heck founded Specialized Medical Operations, Inc., a small business providing medical training and consulting to law enforcement, EMS, and military special operations. He is widely published and has lectured on special operations medical support, the medical response to acts of terrorism, and emergency preparedness and response.
- Dr. Heck was a member of the Nevada State Senate from 2005 to 2009, representing District 5. In 2010, he was elected to the U.S. House where he has worked to boost Nevada’s economy, improve health care, strengthen the education system, and maintain our national security.
- He and his wife Lisa live in Henderson and have three children, Monica, Chelsea, and Joseph III, and two rescue dogs, Aspen and Denver. To learn more about his race for the U.S. Senate, go to www.DrJoeHeck.com .
2. You and your Primary opponents are running for an open U.S. Senate seat. You both are well experienced in the political world. Define your strengths and why you would better serve in this position than your Republican opponent.
For 25 years, Joe Heck has served Nevada as a doctor, small business owner, legislator, and soldier in the U.S. Army Reserve. He served three tours of active duty, including Iraq. As a brigadier general, he clearly sees the threat to national security presented by radical Islamic terrorism and is a leader who knows what it takes to confront it. Dr. Heck also understands the sacrifices of our veterans and their families, because he is one. Nevada needs a voice in the U.S. Senate who understands these challenges. Dr. Heck dedicated his life to serving our country and state. He will not stand by while evil forces use terror to threaten our lives and our values. That is why he wants to keep America strong, so the fight over there does not come over here.
Dr. Heck knows how to identify problems and provide solutions because he started and operated a small business. That is a lesson Washington should learn. he sees a Nevada of unlimited opportunity with better jobs, higher wages, and the chance to rise as far as the path will take us. He knows the importance of having a job, because his father was out of work. In Congress, Dr. Heck pushed to create jobs by cutting big government and streamlining workforce training programs. He knows what it is like to suffer the stress of losing a home because his family almost lost theirs. That is why Joe has helped families threatened by foreclosure.
He was a responder at Ground Zero and served families in Nevada as an emergency room doctor, search and rescue team member, and tactical physician with the LVMPD SWAT team. Dr. Heck knows the pain families feel when a loved one is sick, because he is a physician. When his father needed emergency surgery, Medicare covered him. That is why Joe will protect Medicare and Social Security and preserve it for future generations.
He knows how to identify problems and provide solutions because he started and operated a small business. That is a lesson Washington should learn. Dr. Heck sees a Nevada of unlimited opportunity with better jobs, higher wages, and the chance to rise as far as the path will take us. He knows the importance of having a job, because his father was out of work. In Congress, Dr. Heck pushed to create jobs by cutting big government and streamlining workforce training programs. He knows what it is like to suffer the stress of losing a home because his family almost lost theirs. That is why he has helped families threatened by foreclosure.
He was a responder at Ground Zero and served families in Nevada as an emergency room doctor, search and rescue team member, and tactical physician with the LVMPD SWAT team. Dr. Heck knows the pain families feel when a loved one is sick, because he is a physician. When his father needed emergency surgery, Medicare covered him. That is why he will protect Medicare and Social Security and preserve it for future generations.
3. Would you consider your political ideology different than that of your opponent?
Dr. Joe Heck is a common sense conservative Republican who breaks through Washington gridlock to get bills passed and signed into law:
His Three Kids Mine Act allows for clean-up and redevelopment of a toxic mine site at no cost to taxpayers. It is expected to create as many as 3,000 new jobs.
His Hoover Power Allocation Act protects and ensures Nevada’s access to stable, low cost and clean hydro power until 2067.
His Stolen Valor Act protects the honor of military awards, and the men and women who earn them, by making it a crime to knowingly benefit from misrepresenting the receipt of certain military medals.
His Enhancing Services for Runaway and Homeless Victims of Youth Trafficking Act provides increased support to runaway and homeless youth who are victims of human trafficking.
His Vulnerable Veterans Housing Reform Act passed the U.S. House and would help reduce veteran homelessness.
Dr. Heck’s Jobs Originated through Launching Travel or J.O.L.T. Act, which earned broad bipartisan support, would create an estimated 1.2 million jobs nationwide and add as much as $860 billion to our economy.
His Creating Access to Residency Education or CARE Act would establish a $25 million grant program so states like Nevada can attract more medical residents.
4. Explain your position in regards to:
- Immigration issues – Dr. Heck believes our immigration system is broken and needs reform, which should be debated and voted on by Congress. Securing our borders is a top priority. We must also eliminate incentives for individuals to come here without following the legal path. He supports an improved employment eligibility verification (E-Verify) system. We must update our visa system to allow those with skills or knowledge necessary for our economy to immigrate. He does not support amnesty.
- Public lands issues – More than 86% of Nevada is controlled by the federal government — the highest of any state. Dr. Heck supports legislation to give Nevadans greater local control of their land as opposed to bureaucrats who are 2,500 miles away. Communities across Nevada cannot plan for their most basic needs, from housing to economic development, without an act of Congress. There is a proven model for respecting both conservation and the economy. The Southern Nevada Public Land Management Act enabled Las Vegas to grow while providing revenue for education, water and conservation. He believes communities throughout Nevada that are trapped by public lands deserve a similar opportunity for self-determination, economic development and community-driven conservation.
- Obamacare – As an emergency room physician who treated Nevadans from all walks of life, Dr. Heck has seen what works and what doesn’t. Premium increases on top of exorbitant deductibles make the “Affordable Care Act” anything but affordable. That is why he introduced and cosponsored legislation with the GOP Doctors Caucus to fully repeal the unsustainable ACA and start over with patient-centered solutions including the interstate purchase of insurance, individual health pools, expanded health savings accounts, tax credits for the purchase of coverage, and lawsuit abuse reforms to reduce the costly practice of defensive medicine. By defending the status quo and offering no solutions, ACA proponents put Washington ahead of Nevadans and their doctors.
- The minimum wage issue – from a national perspective – As a former small business owner, Dr. Heck supports cutting job-killing government red tape to create more jobs and better wages. The Affordable Care Act, for which has killed hours and turned many Nevadans into part time employees. Additional Washington-knows best policies will kill more hours and jobs.
5. As a U.S. Senator, what do you believe will be your greatest challenges? How will you address them?
Dr. Heck wants to restore our nation to its rightful position on the global stage as the world’s sole superpower, continue efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, support pro-growth tax policies. He will address these issues as he has in the House by being a workhorse and not a show horse.
6. During a campaign season, many accusations/assertions are made by your opponents. Have there been any thus far that you feel are inaccurate or unfair that you would like to respond to?
Dr. Heck’s record of service and accomplishments speak for themselves. He is an honorable man.
7. Please use this space to elaborate on any issue not covered above:
EDITOR: This is one in a series of online interviews with Republican candidates. All Republican candidates with Primary races were contacted – US Senate, US Congress, State Senate, State Assembly, Carson City Mayor and Lyon County Commissioner. The responses are posted as the candidates presented them to me – no editing. These interviews will be posted in no particular order and, obviously, all races are not of interest in everyone’s particular district; however, NewsDesk readership (www.ndbynd.com) is spread throughout the state so all responses will be posted. You are welcome to repost any of the interviews as long as proper credit is given to NewsDesk.
Primary election day is Tuesday, June 14, 2016. If the candidates in a particular Primary all belong to the same party, the winner will be determined in the Primary and go to the General Election ballot unopposed.
Dates to remember:
- May 14 – Last day to register to vote by mail
- May 24 – Last day to register to vote in the Primary
- May 28-June 19 – Early voting
- June 14 – Primary Election